casa-volunteer-banner-ad256gif

Utley Middle School student committed suicide yesterday

FacebookEmailShare

ROCKWALL – A 14-year-old Utley Middle School student committed suicide yesterday at her home in Rockwall.

Brianna Raquell “Bre” Escobedo is the second Rockwall teen to commit suicide in less than 30 days. Fifteen-year-old Rockwall High School freshman Hanna Clark took her own life April 26 at her Rockwall home.

According to the numerous parents of close friends and neighbors of the family who have contacted The Rockwall News, many students who knew Bre and were her friends were in shock yesterday and could be seen in tears as they exited the buses at Utley this morning.

Rockwall ISD normally makes grief counselors available to help students for tragedies like this and we are expecting word from the school district shortly.

The Rockwall Police Department plans to issue a news release early this afternoon with more information.

More details to come as we learn them.

Also watch for a separate news story today or tomorrow about the “Red Flags” to watch for to prevent further teen suicides, plus comments from a psychologist about how parents. family members and friends can help students in a positive manner who are affected by teen suicides.

By J.J. Smith

27 Responses to Utley Middle School student committed suicide yesterday

1. you will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

friend. June 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm
  2. it’s been three weeks… your still everywhere.
    we were suppose to go to through highschool together. annoy the crap out of our teachers like we would do on a day to day basis lol. when I first met you the first thing you did was ask me if I wanted to help you throw Cheerios at people in the hallway. lol of course I said yes who wouldn’t? haha. I miss you so much you were my Bestfriend. I miss gettins random videos of you twerking and falling off the oven

friend. June 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm
  3. We agree, and will either support it or start it. Watch for our teen suicide “Red Flags” article tomorrow as part of that effort.

The Rockwall News May 27, 2013 at 7:45 am
  4. Bre I miss u so much. Ur smile. Ur goofy times. Ur sad times. Wish I could have been in ur life alot more than I was. U r still my big girl. Always will be. To the family I am really sorry. Went to the burial along with her younger siblings and one of tgem cried because she finally figured out that she will longer have a big sister to talk to. I love u and will forever miss you.

MEscobedo May 26, 2013 at 11:46 pm
  5. My Son is friend’s with the Escobedo children and in attending Bre’s memorial at the High School I couldn’t help but grieve though I do not know this family. As I watched the parents struggling with the idea of losing their Daughter I realized it could just as easily be MY CHILD. In listening to those who knew her she was the typical Teenager very outgoing and involved with a loving family and friends who cared for her.

We may never know what caused her to make the fateful and tragic decision. I think it is time the City and the School board started a campaign in the schools to educate both students and parents on this. With 2 precious children taking their own life’s in less than 60 days in our community it should be a wake up call to US ALL!.

J.B Brown May 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm
  6. Bre today I went to see you at your visitatation.. All I could do was cry.. I cryed all weekend I miss you I wish you were here.. Your mom was crying to I felt so bad but my heart goes out to your family :) I will never forget all the times you made me laugh.. And smile and I will never forget you and your orange fanta, cheerios,coke,chips and everything else you jad in your backpack

jazmin bres friend May 26, 2013 at 2:13 am
  7. Thank you for your supportive words. We certainly agree with all you’ve written about the need to figure out how to help our young people, who often don’t show their emotions. Additional articles are coming shortly citing the “Red Flags” of teen suicide and offering a psychologist’s advice about how parents should help their children deal with the sudden death of a classmate. We’re also considering hosting a town hall meeting to discuss teen depression and suicide. Does that sound helpful? We would welcome your help and further comments.

The Rockwall News May 24, 2013 at 10:39 am
  8. Concerned, I respectfully disagree with you. I am glad that Rockwall News chose to do an article on Bre, using her name and telling her story. Her story is so important to all of us. While I enjoy the stories about the many talented kids we have in Rockwall, I want the community to know about Bre and how much our kids are hurting as well. I, for one, appreciate them keeping us informed through their updates. As parents, we need to be able to discuss these things with our children and if we aren’t in the know, our teenagers sure aren’t going to tell us what’s going on. It is a sensitive subject…sure. But the real question for Rockwall News isn’t why they chose to use Bre’s name but instead, how are they going to help us get the word out that something needs to be done to support our young people? It just seems to me that you are asking the wrong questions and focusing on something that just isn’t that important right now. Many of our kids lost a best friend and someone they were very close to. Our kids are grieving the loss of someone close to them. Someone they loved very much. As a parent of one of her best friends, I really believe that the Rockwall community needs to come together for this family and for our young people instead of finding fault in news stories about Bre’s story. I know I would appreciate the conversation being steered in another direction–like how we are going to support these kids and what we are going to do as a community to ensure that our young people know we support them. Concerned, please focus on that because it’s a much more important subject than using Bre’s name.

Bre was a friend to many of our kids…she was very popular and known for being the go-to person if anyone was sad or upset. She was cheerful and happy….not to mention, hilarious. This is out of the blue for the kids that knew Bre and were part of her “group”. Not to mention, for the parents who knew her through our kids as well. Right now, we need as much information as possible because we need to be supporting and talking to our kids about this. I hate to say this, but if this can happen to a young woman like Bre, we need to be talking about suicide with every kid in Rockwall because this is not something any of us ever saw coming.

Bre’s family is in our thoughts and they have our prayers and support. Bre was a special young lady and we grieve with you.

Utley Mom May 24, 2013 at 9:57 am
  9. Oh please people. Everytime there is bad news in Rockwall the people just want to throw rocks at the Rockwall News. They are just doing their job. I believe Brianna’s family is the one who can say something about this. I wanted also to say that I’m praying for Escobedo’s family and friends.

Anonymous May 24, 2013 at 8:02 am
  10. I apologize but still think its not right to name names of innocent children. I do love the positive articles of all the talented kids the Rockwall news puts out. Rockwall is full of talented kids and it breaks my heart to see this happen. It’s a problem on one hand and very personal on another

Concerned May 23, 2013 at 11:18 pm
  11. Beyond belief. I can’t respond to your insensitivity. Deal with teen suicide but not at the expense of the children and family that are hurting. Quit hiding beyond your pseudo badge of honor. Slimy way to live

Concerned May 23, 2013 at 11:05 pm
  12. Bre was an amazing person. I went to school for 3 years and cherish those moments I spent with her. RIP Brianna. We all miss you ∞ <3

Friend May 23, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  13. We did do what we would want others to do for us. The mother even wanted us to publish the article and sent us the photo that you will see in tomorrow’s story. Our community can’t fix what’s wrong without having the facts. It does no good for anyone to try to cover up teen suicides. These tragedies need to be out in the open so we can prevent more.

The Rockwall News May 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm
  14. I am so sorry for the young girl that thought taking her life was the only way to solve whatever issues she had. My heart goes out to the parents because they have lost a precious part of their life. My anger goes out to the media that are compelled to announce the names of innocent troubled children. Shame on you. Do unto others as you would want done unto you.

Concerned May 23, 2013 at 10:33 pm
  15. Bree I will never forget you all those memories are in our hearts
    I wish you could see how many people came to your mourning pray service
    That’s how many care for you
    When you left you took a piece of all our hearts
    Luv you forever Bree

Sydni Philip May 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm
  16. I’m heartbroken. If you are thinking about suicide ASK FOR HELP. If someone you know is talking about suicide TELL SOMEONE (ANYONE!!!). PARENTS (myself included) – Take what you are told SERIOUSLY!!! Better safe than sorry… BE NICE, you never know, you could save a life…

Utley and RHS Dad May 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm
  17. Bree I am going to miss the way you made everyone smile
    Luv you forever

Sydni Philip May 23, 2013 at 6:54 pm
  18. Great question. We’ll have some advice tomorrow for you from a psychologist. Thank you!

The Rockwall News May 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm
  19. I wish you never left us.. Today absoulutley felt like a living hell.. everyone was crying I miss you so much.. I wiah I could have stoped you some how.. It was hard for.me to stop crying but I know you are teaching jesus how to twerk.. Lol I miss your cheerios and chips and whatever else you had in your backpack everyday.. I love you and you will always be in my heart I will never forget you

jazmin bres friend May 23, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  20. I misssss,you bre I wish you were here you dont know how many people love you.. Today felt like a living hell hole I just wanted to cry all day.. I wish you never left us…

jazmin May 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm
  21. Any advice on what we can post on our outside signage? I would be willing to put lettering up, something up that suggests parent stop and talk to their children tonight?

Premier AV May 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm
  22. A vigilvigil is beinga held in Brianna’sa honor tonight.. It will be at Harry Myers Park. Arrival time 6:30-7:00. We will be releasing Balloons and a floating candle on the lake in her honor.

a sad parent.. May 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  23. We totally agree! Great suggestions! We will try to help that conversation to take place with upcoming stories about Teen Suicide “Red Flags” and advice from a psychologist on how parents and communities should deal with teen suicides from a healthy mental health perspective. Thank you!

The Rockwall News May 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm
  24. With two suicides occurring in such a short time, it now becomes the responsibility of everyone and every business and every school in this community to band together and reinforce, reeducate, and respond to ‘suicide outbreak’ immediately. I lived in another community in the past where the same unfortunate thing happened, also in the month of May, and though my community at the time thought we did a good job talking to our children and explaining what suicide is and what prompts someone to do this, we obviously didn’t because after the children were released from school for their summer break, THREE more suicides occurred before July 4th. There is a phenomena called ‘contagious suicide.’ Well educated, highly trained licensed mental health professional know all about it. Your community would be a shining example to others if EVERYONE stopped what they were doing NOW and had professionals spend an entire day, or optimally 2-3, discussing life’s options with our youth BEFORE we release them to the summer where they’re often ‘old enough’ to be left alone while we go to work. Yes, it might be a drag to have to cancel the year end fun and games most school provide their students before summer, but isn’t the gift of life more important?? C’mon folks. I am NOT putting down the existing hardworking school counselors we have. I am just urging that you reinforce your existing arsonal of underpaid and overpaid educators and mobilize them asap before another child has to die and your community faces the unfortunate situation like mine did. Our community and 2 of the other surrounding communities started a tradition of having the ‘suicide talk’ with our school and kids the following year. We all had to chip in $20 individually to hire a trained suicide expert to come and speak to our kids, and it took a while for the school district to allow these professionals to come onto campus to speak to our kids (red tape, politics, legal issues, etc.) but we made it happened. A local business donated their space for us all to meet.

P.S. Professionals know you have to reach these kids where they live, work, attend school, and ‘hang out.’ If you don’t know these answers for your child, then they are at risk.

Suzanne May 23, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  25. OMG
    Another terrible incident that should never have happened so soon in this small town.
    What kind of message are young people getting on their value these days?
    There is NOTHING that is worth a life lost and especially one just starting a life.
    How can one express the sorrow for what these parents are going through??

Miss P

Miss P May 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm
  26. These things hit all parents hard.
    Our children are friends of these Kids and this is indeed
    Gut wrenching and sobering. May the Peace of God be with this
    precious family.

RW Stoufus May 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm
  27. My heart is absolutely broken for the Escobedo family. Brianna was a precious girl and a very good friend to my daughter. My most sincere condolences to Bre’s family. We are praying for you and keeping you all in our thoughts. You are not alone.

Utley Mom May 23, 2013 at 10:49 am