Uncle arrested, charged with murder of Greenville teen Alicia Moore

GREENVILLE – The uncle of 16-year-old Greenville High School student Alicia Moore was arrested in Grand Prairie and charged with her murder Monday night.

The teen was killed and her body found in the trunk of a car along a rural road  in Van Zandt County near Canton Nov. 6, four days after she disappeared after getting off her school bus near her home at about 3:30 pm.

Michael Vincent Moore, 57, was arrested at his father’s Grand Prairie home without incident by officers from the Van Zandt Sheriff’s Office, Greenville Police and Texas Rangers. He was taken to Van Zandt County Jail where he remains in custody on a $10 million bond, charged with capital murder.

After his arrest, he refused to answer investigators’ questions.

Van Zandt County Sheriff M.L. Ray said investigators obtained possible evidence from the suspect’s home and car. They also obtained DNA samples last December from the teen’s family members which Greenville Police Chief Daniel Busken said was part of the overall investigative process.

Alicia Moore’s aunt, Jessica Byrd, posted on her Facebook page that the family was in shock and asking for prayers. Relatives told Channel 8 News that they are “in shock” knowing that Moore’s uncle has been arrested in connection with the girl’s murder.

Neighbors told Dallas TV news reporters that Moore, a professional baker, moved into his father’s home in Grand Prairie about one year ago to help take care of him. He was present for many family events honoring his niece.

On Feb. 23 News 8 spoke with Moore in Greenville where he was decorating dozens of cupcakes for what could have been her 17th birthday party. Instead of a birthday party, the family decided to hold a vigil for Alicia with music from a DJ and friends dancing in the streets, as she would have enjoyed. He said he had been teaching his niece to make cakes and they had spent hours in the kitchen together.

As Moore prepared for a celebration of her life, he told a News 8 reporter it was time to rejoice and move on.

“No one’s been caught yet,” he explained. “We’re still waiting for answers and that’s really hard on us. It hurts sometimes but I’m over it now and it’s time to rejoice. You know, you’ve got to get over it and move on.”

A reward of $25,000 had been offered for information about the case by Hunt County Crime Stoppers but Greenville Police said today it will not be paid to anyone because the arrest was not due to anyone from the public offering information.

After authorities found her body, the family expressed anger that investigators had not issued an Amber Alert. But Van Zandt County officials initially classified Alicia as a runaway since her mother had said she had run away before “but never stayed gone this long.” The missing persons report read that “during the summer she befriended an older adult male and may have done it again.”

Alicia may also have been sexually assaulted in July, 2012, before she disappeared, by a Greenville man who has since been found incompetent to stand trial.

Terry Dwayne Ramsire, 49, was arrested Aug. 23, 2012, and placed in the Hunt Co. jail charged with Aggravated Sexual Assault Of A Child and Indecency With A Child By Sexual Contact. Last September he was indicted by a Hunt Co. jury.

In March 354th District Court Judge Richard Beacom ordered him committed to a mental health facility for treatment with the objective of obtaining competency to stand trial.

By J.J. Smith








Tags: ,

Leave a Reply