Rockwall sends feathers flying as they down Hawks, 1-0

ROCKWALL –  The thrilling baseball game Friday between Rockwall and Rockwall-Heath proved exciting to the very last pitch as the Yellowjackets were able to hold onto an early 1-0 lead until the end to take the win.  Both teams showed determination to win, as neither committed any errors.


(Photos by Sam Ballew) LEFT PHOTO: Rockwall’s Garrett Moon (#25) tags out Heath’s Dylan Brown (#11) at the plate.

RIGHT PHOTO: Rockwall’s Skyler Bean smashes an RBI-double to drive in the game-winning run.


Despite the loss, Rockwall-Heath remained in first place in District 12-5A standings at 6-1 & 17-7, while Rockwall sat in second place at 5-2 & 19-5.

Rockwall jumped out early in the first inning with threats to score as Hawks’ pitcher Logan Kinney walked Brad Barnett and Carson Childers.  However, bats were quiet and couldn’t push the runners around the bases to score.  Heath responded with a single by Dylan Brown and Brett Boswell’s fielder’s choice, but the inning ended with catcher Garrett Moon gunning down Boswell as he attempted to steal second, which second-baseman Skyler Bean finished with the tag.

A battle on the mound then ensued during the next three scoreless innings, between Rockwall’s Carter Lilly and Heath’s Kinney.  It wasn’t until the top of the fourth, when Chris Glover forced Kinney to a 10-pitch count and walked; Nick Lutzel drove a line drive shot to left field for a single; and Bean smashed a double to centerfield, driving in pinch-runner Luke Lovejoy, to give Rockwall their 1-0 lead.  This fired up both pitchers Lilly and Kinney, who once again buckled down and both retired the sides.

In the bottom of the sixth, Rockwall-Heath threatened to score.  Lilly, who had only given up one walk previously, started the inning by walking Dylan Brown.  The Hawks’ leading hitter, Brett Boswell, then doubled down the right field line, which would have normally scored  Brown from first, but the Yellowjackets threw him out at home plate.  Right-fielder Nick Lutzel fired a throw to Bean, who then relayed to Moon, who made a stretching tag on Boswell to deny Heath a run.

Both Rockwall and Rockwall-Heath then went to their bullpens as they entered the seventh inning.  Taylor Enochs entered the game for Heath after Kinney gave up four hits, one earned run, three walks and had five strikeouts.  Alex Vice took the mound in the bottom of the seventh for Rockwall, relieving a stellar performance by Lilly, who finished with five strikeouts, three walks and no earned runs.

This close contest ended with Heath knocking on Rockwall’s door. After the tying run, Russell Hughes, walked; Vice then zoned in and struck out the next two batters. While he was pitching to Heath’s pinch-hitter Trey Millender, Hughes advanced to third base on a wild pitch and was ninety feet away from scoring to force extra innings.  As fans took to their feet, Vice went back to work on Millender and forced him to chase a slider in the dirt, where Moon ended the game by throwing him out at first.

Following their big win, Rockwall had to re-focus when they hosted Mesquite Horn (3-4) Saturday. Horn jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning, but the Yellowjackets answered with seven runs in the second, third and fourth innings, with help from Lutzel’s bases-loaded triple which cleared the bases.  However, it wasn’t enough to hold off the Horns who came back to steal the win from Rockwall, 9-8.

Rockwall (5-3 & 19-6) will face North Mesquite (3-4) Tuesday at Copeland Field in Mesquite and host Tyler Lee (5-3) Friday at the Campbell Complex.


Tags: ,

1 Response for “Rockwall sends feathers flying as they down Hawks, 1-0”

  1. RW Rockwall says:

    Bret is spelled with one t ONLY! And get the story right, there was no stretching tag on Boswell. In fact slow motion video shows Brown was safe.

Leave a Reply